Index of Position Papers
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND AS YOU VIEW THESE PAPERS:
1. Very competent and professional people have planned and conducted the Convocations, but they have been totally volunteers.
2. Highest priorities have been placed on having the best programs and speakers and on keeping the cost low for people.
3. The Convocations have been going on for over 20 years.
4. Each year there are different people preparing the Convocation and attending it.
5. People who are not professional writers usually compose the papers.
6. Usually, the Convocation is only given the options to “approve” or to “not approve” the proposed papers.
1. The papers may not always be PERFECTLY consistent in their content.
2. The papers may not all possess the highest quality of writing.
3. Not everyone at the Convocations agrees with EVERYTHING in the papers.
4. We do not have a record here of ALL of the actions, which the Convocation has approved over the years (see: Evolution).
97-01 ON-GOING LETTER WRITING TO OPPOSE DEATH PENALTY
Authorizes Steering Committee to write letters in the name of the Convocation throughout the year. (Sample letter)
97-06 OPPOSES THE DEATH PENALTY ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN
Speaks out against seeking the death penalty in the capital trial case of Azikiwe Kambule. (Letter)
98-01 OPPOSES FURTHER LEGALIZATION OF THE DEATH PENALTY
Urges States without death penalty to resist it. (Letter to the State of Michigan)